Friday 20 April 2012

Blue Finds and Playtime!

 Blue Finds and Playtime!
I woke up this morning to blue skies, sunshine and about 13 degrees of warmth outside, all the perfect ingredients for a beach walk! I wanted to wait until late afternoon when I knew the tide was out and the sun would be hitting the beach at the perfect angle to find sea glass, hoping for a little blue piece! Sure enough, my trick worked and I saw it a couple of feet in front of me with the help of the sun making it shine off the sand!

As I continued down the beach and headed up toward the point, I heard them in the distance, their distinctive loud, deep honk combined with a lazy bark echoing off the banks; SEALS!


I only saw these two, but I have a feeling there were a couple of others out there because of the way they kept looking around and barking out. I am almost certain that these are Grey seals and while they stir up a lot of controversy in the media, I think they are a pretty amazing sight to see! Albeit, after a while they can get slightly boring, for it seems all they do is sunbath or push each other off rocks for entertainment!




Just as I thought my walk was finished and I was heading back to the house, I came upon two Blue Herons (or Great Blue Herons, depending on your preference) looking for their dinner among the bedrock. Unfortunately, despite my efforts to be quiet, I scared them off, but not before capturing a shot of one in flight over the water!



2 comments:

  1. Oooh, lovely! I'm glad that you got out for a beach walk, and now I feel as though I was with you. We don't see seals here too often - their stance is hilarious! Hope you're enjoying your break. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sherrie, the break has definitely been relaxing, but I must say, I'm eager to get back to studying!
    Yes, I agree - they have some funny positions!!

    ReplyDelete