Thursday 19 April 2012

Lady Bugs

 Lady Bugs
When I first arrived in Melville they were everywhere! Coming out of diapause as the fresh warm spring air entered the house. I was astounded by the numbers that gathered around the skylights and windows for a little sunlight and wondered just how many found their way inside to begin with.

Ladybugs or Ladybirds (as they are more commonly known, and preferred by scientific researchers) are found in a number of countries throughout the world. In Turkey they are known as uğur böceği which literally means "good luck bug" and why having one close or on you entails some good fortune is headed your way.


This one, must have landed on my open laptop at some point over night and was still there when I woke up this morning, hopefully meaning I have a lucky day ahead of me!

I'll leave you with the German nursery rhyme about ladybugs and wish you some good luck today too!


                                  Ladybug!  Ladybug!
                                     Fly away home
                                 Your house is on fire
                             And your children all gone
                                     All except one,
                                 And that's little Anne,
                                 For she crept under
                                      The frying pan. 


No comments:

Post a Comment